What is the ROI of content marketing?
Realizing the value of content marketing, a growing number of brands are putting significant amounts of their marketing budget toward content programs and expecting a significant return on investment (ROI). But what is the ROI of content marketing, exactly, and how can brands most effectively measure and improve it?
This short introduction, “What is the ROI of content marketing?” touches on the difficulty of determining content ROI and on solutions that enable content teams to manage content marketing ROI optimization.
What is the ROI of content marketing?
Since the goal of content marketing is to build relationships with audiences based on trust and to improve their feeling about a brand, content marketing ROI is all about getting an audience segment to have a more positive opinion about a brand and its content, and about getting users to return to the brand time and again.
Why is determining content marketing ROI so hard?
The challenge of content marketing ROI is that content programs have different objectives than traditional advertising campaigns. Where many advertising efforts are focused on generating leads, increasing conversions, or boosting revenue, the goals of content marketing are less tangible. ROI is based on improving the way that audiences feel about the brand, how much they trust it, and how often they come back to it to meet their needs or satisfy their interests.
Traditional KPIs for digital advertising are all about quantitative metrics – volume of site traffic, time spent on page, page depth, pages per session and others. These metrics all indicate a level of engagement, but they don’t communicate the quality of that engagement. In other words, they don’t tell marketers how audiences felt about the content they consumed. Quantitative data reveal whether audiences liked a piece of content or not, and whether the content improved their relationship with the brand.
To really measure and optimize ROI for content marketing, brands need content marketing analytics tools to evaluate audience sentiment – qualitative data that measures perception of content, awareness of the brand, relevance of the content to the user’s needs, and more.
For most brands, these metrics have been difficult to come by. There simply hasn’t been a way to collect audience sentiment data easily and accurately. And the hope that sentiment data could be delivered in real-time – which would allow marketers to optimize ROI for existing campaigns – has always seemed unreachable.
That’s where Knotch comes in.
What does Knotch do to increase ROI in content marketing?
Knotch is an independent content intelligence platform that provides a simple, innovative solution for measuring audience sentiment and tracking content marketing ROI. Along with solutions that help CMOs to plan, measure, optimize, and benchmark their content efforts across owned and paid programs, Knotch provides an audience sentiment feedback unit that delivers an exponential increase in response rates when asking users to specify information about how they feel about the content they’re consuming.
The Knotch feedback unit is a simple visual tool that appears alongside or at the end of a piece of content, allowing users to share their feelings just when the content (and their opinion of it) is freshest in their mind. Knotch uses an easy-to-understand metaphor – a temperature scale – that users understand intuitively, making it more likely that they’ll respond.
When compared to more intrusive methods like surveys in pop-up windows or in email that arrives after the fact, the Knotch feedback unit delivers a response rate that is roughly 2000X greater. And even more impressive, the data is available to brands in real-time, enabling content teams to act on it immediately to improve content marketing ROI.
What are the benefits of content marketing ROI?
The Knotch platform provides users with a number of distinct advantages, including:
- Unprecedented clarity into audience sentiment. Knotch content intelligence tools make it easy for content teams to understand how users engage with content, how they feel about it, and how they behave after they consume it, enabling marketers to take steps to significantly increase ROI.
- A comprehensive view of campaign performance to manage ROI. The Knotch dashboard provides customizable views of content and campaigns, allowing teams to quickly understand what content types, themes, and distribution channels are working – and which can be optimized through adjustments, revisions, and replacements.
- A holistic view of audience and performance data. Knotch combines qualitative audience sentiment information with quantitative data and audience demographics/psychographics to provide marketers with the most complete understanding of audiences and the content they engage with.
- Independent, unbiased data. Knotch does not monetize from any distribution channels – we work only for brands. That means we have no investment in the success of what we are measuring, and no incentive to highlight or skew data one way or the other. Consequently, brands know that our data is free of bias and offers the greatest source of truth when measuring performance and ROI in content marketing.
What other Knotch solutions help increase content ROI?
Content measurement is just one aspect of the Knotch platform. Additional solutions include:
- Competitor Content Analysis. Knotch provides content teams with a better understanding of the competitive landscape, enabling them to differentiate content more successfully and to take inspiration from the best-performing content campaigns in the industry. Knotch also provides a publisher matching feature that helps brands find the best publisher for any campaign based on target audience demographics, KPIs and creative approach.
- Automated Content Library. Knotch simplifies the task of organizing and classifying every piece of content, storing it under one roof and providing robust filter and search capabilities that make it easy to access content at any time.
- Content Journey Mapping. With Knotch, content teams can take control of the users’ journey from one piece of content to the next, tapping into their needs and interests while defining an organic experience that directs users toward high-value actions.
- Content Recommendation Engine. Content teams can proactively engage with audiences as they consume content, using feedback and AI-powered processes to automatically recommend the next, most valuable step in the customer content journey.
- Automated Content Insights. Using verified, predictive intelligence, Knotch surfaces insights that can be easily missed, providing content marketers with access to highly relevant intelligence based on topic, audience and other criteria.
FAQs: what is the ROI of content marketing?
What is the ROI of content marketing?
The purpose of content marketing is to provide content for an audience that builds trust, improves awareness and enhances the relationship between the audience and brand. Consequently, content marketing ROI is concerned with how successfully a piece of content or a campaign achieves these objectives.
How can content ROI be improved?
Content ROI is measured through qualitative data about audience sentiment – how audiences feel about content they’re consuming and how they feel about the brand after engaging with content. To improve ROI, content teams need access to data that evaluates audience sentiment in real-time, enabling marketers to make adjustments on the fly to content, themes, and distribution channels in order to appeal to audiences more effectively.