How to track content performance
For CMOs and their content marketing teams, understanding how to track content performance effectively is the key to successful campaigns. With the right real-time performance metrics, content teams can take immediate steps to optimize campaigns, revise underperforming assets, and adjust the mix of distribution channels to reach audiences more effectively.
Most content measurement tools, however, fail to deliver the comprehensive intelligence that is critical to measuring content performance successfully. That’s why so many brands today are turning to the end-to-end Content Intelligence Platform from Knotch.
The secret to higher ROI? Knowing how to track content performance
Having the right data is everything when it comes to knowing how to track content performance. There are three things every content team needs to track performance effectively.
- Real-time data. Many content marketing analytics tools deliver intelligence after the campaign is finished. While this information can be enormously useful in guiding future efforts, it offers no help to marketers trying to shore up a faltering campaign. When content teams can get analytics based on real-time data, they can immediately move to refine strategy, adjust the mix of distribution channels, modify assets to increase engagement, and replace pieces that aren’t hitting the mark.
- Audience feedback. Most content analytics software is excellent with quantitative data, providing metrics that document the volume of engagement. But knowing how many people have viewed a piece of content and how much time they spent with it isn’t the same as knowing whether they actually liked it or not. To understand whether an asset or a campaign is effective, marketers need qualitative data that reveals how audiences feel about content. With real-time audience feedback, marketers can know with certainty whether a campaign is successfully improving the perception of a brand and strengthening relationships with target users.
- Unbiased information. Content analytics today are often based on data provided by distribution channels, digital agencies, and other third parties. Because these firms have a stake in how well a brand’s content performs, it’s hard to trust the integrity of their reports. Too often, these third-party firms may bring successes to the foreground in reports while burying less flattering data. To track content performance effectively, brands need data that is collected through transparent processes and that is completely unbiased.
Measuring content performance with Knotch
Knotch is the only Content Intelligence Platform that provides marketers with solutions for strategic planning capabilities, cross-channel measurement, and real-time actionable intelligence. With tools that track content performance across all owned and paid strategies, our platform helps marketers to plan, measure, optimize, and benchmark content efforts more successfully.
Our platform delivers on all three of the essential criteria for tracking content performance.
- We deliver real-time intelligence that gives marketers the power to pivot mid-campaign, optimizing assets and adjusting distribution channels to maximize ROI and increase performance.
- Our innovative feedback unit, embedded in every piece of content, successfully captures audience sentiment about the content they are consuming. By providing users with an intuitive and engaging experience, we’ve achieved response rates that are exponentially higher than traditional techniques. And because users can share their feelings about content even as they engage with it, we can provide real-time qualitative metrics to our brand customers.
- We never monetize from distribution channels – our only relationship is with our brand customers. That means we are not invested in what we are measuring, enabling us to deliver objective and unbiased data that our customers can trust completely.
With Knotch, content teams can instantly see what content types, themes, and distribution channels are working best, and how to improve the ones that aren’t. By aggregating content analytics across all owned content hubs and paid partnerships, we enable teams to conduct cross-platform comparisons and identify the best-performing channels and content. And by combining qualitative data, quantitative metrics, and audience information, we can show marketing teams how to track content performance most effectively.
Comprehensive content performance metrics
Knotch collects a robust set of data points, giving teams the power to determine how to track content performance against the metrics that matter. With Knotch, marketers can track:
- Overall views
- Unique views
- Referral source
- Time spent
- Scroll depth
- Video completion rates
- Device & browser type
- Social engagement
- Custom events
- Purchase intent
- Custom metrics
- Job Function
- Brand/purchase affinity
- In-market segments
The Knotch Content Intelligence Platform
In addition to showing teams how to track content performance, the Knotch platform also provides:
- Competitive content analysis. CMOs can easily gain insight into competitors’ content strategy, publishing cadence, and campaign themes.
- A publisher matching tool. We offer access to a comprehensive catalog of publishers and a tool for identifying the best partner based on target audience demographics, KPIs, and creative approach.
- Automated content insights. Our platform provides access to critical intelligence organized by topic, audience, and more. We also automatically surface essential insights that marketers might easily miss.
- A content journey mapping tool. With Knotch, teams can define the stages in a target user’s journey and map the ideal content for every stage.
- A content recommendation engine. Our platform enables content teams to engage in personalized conversations with users, automatically gleaning insight that can help to suggest the next, most valuable piece of content for their journey.
- An automated content library. Knotch automatically organizes every piece of content ever created, storing it in a central location and providing robust search and filter capabilities for quick access.
The Knotch platform is widely used in a variety of industries, powering content marketing for financial services, professional services, B2B tech, automotive, retail, healthcare, and pharmaceutical companies, among others.
FAQs: how to track content performance?
What is content performance?
In content marketing, performance is measured by how well a campaign or a piece of content engages, informs, educates, or entertains a user, and how successfully it improves a user’s impression of the brand.
How do marketers track content performance?
Qualitative metrics are essential for marketers who want to know how to track content performance most effectively. By understanding how audiences feel about the content they consume, marketers can know with greater certainty whether a piece of content is successfully improving a user’s relationship with the brand. Qualitative data can be combined with quantitative metrics that measure the volume of engagement to provide a comprehensive view of content performance.